To be scheduled…
Please RSVP to 341-3217 or email@example.com
At the Humane Society of the Black Hills, animal lovers just like you make up our volunteer force. While our volunteers come from different backgrounds, they all have three things in common:
- Compassion for the animals in our community
- Commitment to work together to create a brighter future for the animals
- Consistency and reliability in helping us care for the animals and operate our programs
Our dedicated volunteers make a difference at the humane society every day! Some of the areas in which our volunteers provide much-needed help include the following:
- Dog Walking
- Cat Socializing
- Outreach Events
- Office/Clerical Duties
- 16 and under: Youth under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- 16 and older: Ages 16 and older may work independently with the animals
Are you ready to help the homeless animals in our community and become a valued member of our volunteer force?
Here’s How To Get Started:
- Download the volunteer packet. Read and sign the contact form, release of liability, and conflict of interest statement. Please bring the documents to volunteer orientation.
- Attend volunteer orientation. Orientation schedules are published on this page and on the Humane Society of the Black Hills Facebook page. All volunteers are required to attend orientation.
- Commit to volunteering a minimum of 5 hours in a 6 month time period.
- Questions: Contact our Resource Development Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (605) 341-3217
Groups, Volunteer Projects
Several groups, youth groups and local organizations hold fund raisers and events and donate the proceeds to the Humane Society of the Black Hills. If your group would like to hold an event to benefit the Humane Society, contact us if you would like us to share the information on our website and social media.
Projects Available at the Humane Society, 1820 East St. Patrick:
Carpentry work in customer area (posted 6/8/2017)
We would like to find a skilled carpenter who can create two computer station areas in the limited customer service window area. The front area is functional but not as efficient as it should be so we can offer the best customer service.
Stencil/Sign painting on building 2 (posted 6/8/2017)
The building on East St. Patrick will be repainted and, once that’s done, we’ll be adding text and our logo to the south and east sides of the building. This project would probably require someone with experience in stencils or sign painting.
Estimated time: Depending on experience
Estimated volunteers needed: unknown
Supplies needed: Stencil or sign painting supplies, paint brushes and supplies
Interior painting, main building (posted 6/8/2017)
We have several areas in the main building that would be greatly enhanced by a fresh coat of paint. The lobby, visitation rooms, cat adopt rooms, bathrooms, hallways and receiving areas would all be available for volunteer projects.
Also note, some of these areas could be developed into special group projects with murals/art etc. If you’re interested in that, contact the Humane Society to talk about opportunities.
Supplies needed: Painting equipment
Cleaning and organizing rooms
Cleaning and organizing is an ongoing need at the Humane Society. While staff cleans daily, the shear volume of supplies and laundry used can lead to less than organized work areas. If you’re interested in cleaning or organizing for a small group, call us.
Receiving area tile work (posted 6/8/2017)
The floors at the Humane Society are cleaned daily and have high traffic which is hard on tile. Donating and installing the tile would be a skilled worker project.