At the Humane Society of the Black Hills, animal lovers just like you make up our volunteer force. While our volunteers come from different backgrounds, they all have three things in common:
- Compassion for the animals in our community
- Commitment to work together to create a brighter future for the animals
- Consistency and reliability in helping us care for the animals and operate our programs
Volunteers are a vital part of the Humane Society of the Black Hills and help us meet our mission to care for the lost, homeless and forgotten. Volunteers contribute thousands of hours each year and help ensure the animals here are socialized, happy, and healthy while they wait to be adopted.
Some of the areas in which our volunteers provide much-needed help include the following:
- Dog Walking
- A.M. Dog Walking
- Cat Socializing
- Outreach Events
- Office/Clerical Duties
- Upcoming Events
- 16 and under: Youth under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- 16 and older: Ages 16 and older may work independently with the animals
Here’s How To Get Started:
- Download the volunteer packet.
Read and sign the contact form, release of liability, and conflict of interest statement. Please bring the documents to volunteer orientation.
- Attend volunteer orientation.
All volunteers are required to attend the 45-minute to one-hour orientation.
Orientation schedules are published on the events calendar. Please register online for an open spot. Orientations fill quickly so if you cannot make the time slot you reserved, please email email@example.com to request your name be removed from the orientation schedule for that date.
When registering for an orientation – please do not register multiple attendees under one name; each person must be registered individually.
- Commit to volunteering a minimum of 2 hours a month and volunteer whenever it works in your schedule!
- Questions: Contact our Resource Development Director by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (605) 341-3217
Groups, Volunteer Projects
Several groups, youth groups and local organizations hold fund raisers and events and donate the proceeds to the Humane Society of the Black Hills. If your group would like to hold an event to benefit the Humane Society of the Black Hills, contact us if you would like us to share the information on our website and social media.
OUTDOOR BUILDING PROJECTS
Have a group that wants to tackle an outdoor building project this summer? Building small gazebos, patios, or benches for volunteers walking dogs might be the right fit for you. Below are a few photos of what could be done to create a simple space for a volunteer to sit back, enjoy the day, with a dog napping at his or her feet.
School groups may enjoy this project we saw online, but instead of painted rocks maybe rocks painted as animals and paw prints! If this is something you might be interested in doing, call the Resource Development Director at 341-3217 and we’ll see if we can work out the details.