Board of Directors position available
The Humane Society of the Black Hills (HSBH) is seeking a board treasurer to join the nine-member HSBH Board of Directors. The volunteer board position is a two-year commitment requiring monthly meetings, committee involvement, and generally representing the Humane Society of the Black Hills throughout the year.
The Board of Directors meet monthly to oversee the daily operations of the 501(c)3 non-profit animal shelter including budget management, developing community relations, and overseeing several internal HSBH programs and operations. A successful board member candidate will have an appreciation of animals in the community, and understanding of the role of the humane society, and a financial background suitable to the needs of the treasurer position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Knowledge– Must have a thorough understanding of financial reports and tax forms, specifically the 990 tax form, and stay currently informed of legal, regulatory, and sector developments relating to the board’s financial responsibilities. May require some supplemental training in nonprofit financial terminology and requirements.
- Communications – Able to translate financial information and financial concepts for the board. Will work with the Executive Director to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the board on a timely basis.
- Planning – Partner with the Executive Director to develop a useful annual budget and provide annual budget to the board for members’ approval. Administrate fiscal matters of the organization and ensure the development of financial policies and procedures. Responsible for recruiting the next treasurer.
- Strategy – Treasurer goes beyond annual budgets, audits, and financial reports to bring financial leadership to the organization. Look ahead to find the financial options and decisions needed for longer term goals and initiate discussions to connect finance and mission.
- Commitment – Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of treasurer. Serve as chair of the Finance Committee.
Learn more about the Humane Society of the Black Hills Board of Directors and the HSBH, visit www.hsbh.org.
To inquire about the Board of Directors position, contact Jacque Harvey, Director, (605) 394-4170, or email firstname.lastname@example.org