Residents of Pennington County are required by ordinance to license all pets. The ordinance requires you to license each pet within thirty days of acquiring it, or within thirty days of the time that your pet becomes six months old.
- You can purchase your animal license at the HSBH shelter, or any of the participating veterinarians listed below:
- You will need to bring a rabies immunization certificate to show that the animal for which the license is to be issued has been vaccinated for rabies. This certificate should also indicate if the animal is intact or altered.
- You will receive a license tag stamped with an identification number and the year it was issued. This license should be worn with the rabies tag on your pet’s collar at all times.
- The expiration date of the license or renewal is one year from the date of issue.
- Through the licensing process, your information and your pet’s information will be on file at the HSBH. In the event your pet is lost and comes into the shelter, we will be able to trace the license tag to you and have the information necessary to reunite you and your pet quickly.
- If your pet’s license tag is ever lost, you may obtain a duplicate tag for a small fee.
- $5.00 per year for a spayed or neutered cat
- $10.00 per year for an intact cat
- $8.00 per year for a spayed or neutered dog
- $16.00 per year for an intact dog
If you would like to purchase your pet’s license directly from HSBH, please complete the Animal License Form and return it to us in person or via standard mail. If you are mailing your form, please include a check or money order for the amount due (see license fees above) plus an additional fee of $1.25 to cover the costs of mailing the license tag and documents back to you. If you have any questions, please call (605) 394-4170.
Mail completed form to:
Humane Society of the Black Hills
1820 E St. Patrick St.
Rapid City, South Dakota 57703-4142